Need help: control master volume

Arnold Krille kde at arnoldarts.de
Fri Mar 12 09:58:07 GMT 2004

On Thursday 11 March 2004 23:30, Mirko Boehm wrote:
> I tried a couple of ways to implement it, but nothing seems to work
> relyably. For example, my prefered method (calling kmix via dcop) depends
> on kmix actually running.
> Another issue is that I did not find information if the volume integer
> values are standardized or depend on hardware. Therefore a method which
> takes a percentage or a normalized float between 0.00 and 1.00 as an
> argument would be much appreciated.
> Can anybody, especially the multimedia developers help me with this?

The kde multimedia people can help you. On kde-multimedia at kde.org! There where
big discussions what belongs to kde-core-devel@ and what belongs to
kde-multimedia@ some weeks ago, better respect it...

To change the volume you probably have to rely on certain prerequisites.
Either a running kmix, or using some kind of console programm like
alsamixer...

The volume level is almost always something between 0 and 1. Its over 1 if you
want to amplify but thats only relevant inside software, you want to change
the hardware volumes...

Arnold

--
Get my public-key from pgp.mit.edu or pgp.uni-mainz.de