Great new KMix is commited ... feedback appreciated

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Sun Jun 20 10:14:59 BST 2004

On Samstag Juni 19 2004 23:29, Christian Esken wrote:
> On Saturday 19 June 2004 18:49, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> > On Mittwoch Juni 16 2004 15:18, Christian Esken wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I commited the completely refactored KMix to KDE HEAD.
> > >
> > > If anyone feels like giving it a try, I would appreciate feedback very
> > > much.
> > >
> > > Please direct your answers either directly to me - or to the list, if
> > > appropriate.
> >
> > currently the applet is broken as hell.
>
> I'm sorry, but unfortunately you got an intermediate version.
> The first commited version was better, and the current is about perfect

Ahh, that explains why my first recompile of the refactored version worked
exactly like the old one. And two days later it broke like hell ;)

> > - forgot the channels that were visible and shows all again
>
> I don't believe this -it  cannot be. When does this happen? After you drag
> the panel, re-login or after removing and re-inserting the Applet?

Well, I recompiled kmix and on next login the applet only showed 2 and a half
grey bars. Because of that I moved the applet somewhere else with more space
and TADAHH, I suddenly had _all_ channels visible although my applet should
only show three channels (main vol, pcm vol, external vol for rear speakers).
I'll reply if this happens again with current kmix (going to rebuild it in a
few minutes).

> > - has some weird spacing depending on how much width is available (all
> > this on a horizontal panel)
>
> Not a real bug: It takes as much space as it gets: I might change that if
> possible.

please do, kmixapplet should always use minimal width, i.e. noSliders *
sliderWidth + (noSliders+1)*sliderSpacing. Space on panels is always limited
and I doubt anybody likes the changing spacing. just try dragging around
other items on a panel, kmixapplet really feels weird while doing so :)

> > - drawing and dragging volume is inverse, the "inverse" checkbox does
> > nothing
>
> First: fixed
>
> Second: "inverse" has been removed now, due to VERY unclear semantics

Good idea, besides, users can have the same result just by exchanging the two
colors for 0 and 100% :)

> > I really don't know why you think such a refactoring was needed. kmix and
> > its
>
> Because there was NO WAY to fix bugs anymore. If one fixes one bug, you
> would create one or two new.

Well, this reply comes from the fact that I had _no_ problems at all with
kmix. If the majority of users really had problems I'm fine with a
refactoring.

> > applet worked fine before, now it's all the way broken and unusable.
>
> It worked? You should have taken a look at bugs.kde.org. This PanelApplet
> was a neat bug-house, nothing more.
> - It crashed all the time
Never did that for me

> - It would not show
Always showed up on start

> - It loses all its settings as soon as you drag it
I have to admit I did not drag it very often. Usually only directly after I
added it :)

> - It forget to save config

dunno =)

> - and so on and so on.

Hey, that bug is known to me ;)

> Sorry again, the version now is clean.

Thanks for the fast fix, at last kmix again has somebody actively working on
it. After all it didn't change that much since KDE 3.0.x, any work on it is
appreciated.

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein