KDE 4 Multimedia: The Answer

Leon Shiman leon at magic.shiman.com
Mon Feb 23 14:45:25 GMT 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 14:19:35 +0100 Gioele Barabucci wrote:
>Subject: Re: KDE 4 Multimedia: The Answer

All -

MAS is and has been under continuing development. I can speak
authoritatively; we are the MAS developers, maintainers of the code
base, the website ( www.MediaApplicationServer.net), and of the
public CVS, which is regularly updated. You will discover, for
example, recent RPM's.

We maintain a list, mas-devel at shiman.com .

Some of the statements made on this thread have not been accurate.
I would be glad to discuss details, the potential role(s) of MAS in
KDE, and how an active open developer group can be established and
maintained. But this thread is probably not the place to do that.

Leon

Shiman Associates Inc
163 Tappan treet
Brookline MA 02445 USA

tel: (00)1.617.277.0087

>Neil Stevens wrote:
>> It seems plain to me now that in KDE 4, GStreamer on MAS is what
should be
>> used.
>We will surely need to patch part of the code of the solution we
choose.
>You know, using an infrastucture intesively you discover bugs,
limitations
>and so on.
>
>Most positive points are known, let's talk of the negative one.
>
>GStreamer:
>- written in C, GLib based... I fear this combination. Look at
this example
>stated "how to write a simple typefinder"
>http://www.freedesktop.org/~gstreamer/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstr
eamer/html/GstTypeFindFactory.html#id3578370

http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/Home
>I hope this is not the only reason :) not everything at
freedesktop is