Some ideas for the aRts-replacement

Koos Vriezen koos.vriezen at xs4all.nl
Sat Feb 21 10:36:13 GMT 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:15:11AM +0100, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> On Freitag Februar 20 2004 02:09, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> > >
> > > That doesn't make any sense -- why would we write another sound server?
> >
> > Simply using ESD would be a start..actually a small wrapper that plugins
> Why whould I want to install that crappy old thing if my artsd is working?

You missed the point. It's not about replacing arts with esd, but about letting
the user/distro choose which sound server to use that should at least serve
knotify (so a wrapper for each should be written)

> > Maintaining this is in no way comparable with maintaining arts, no?
> And it doesn't improve anything.
>
> > > Which basically means we'd be where we are now, but we'd have introduced
> > > another layer and something else for us to do a bad job of maintaining.
> >
> > Not quite, knotify doesn't depend on arts (was the subject of the
> > original posting :)
>
> Wow, what a huge gain (not).

Wake up, SuSE now has kaffeine as default player. If a desktop has this
player, maybe kmplayer as konqueror plugin, xxxdsp for nsplugin/third party
stuff, I don't see why such a desktop would need a Grand Unified Sound solution.

Koos