Some ideas for the aRts-replacement

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Feb 20 12:27:24 GMT 2004

On Friday 20 February 2004 12:54, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
> Zack Rusin <zack <at> kde.org> writes:
> > Just wondering what are people thinking about
> > http://www.networkmultimedia.org . I think it's rather impressive.
>
> It is very impressive:
> from http://www.networkmultimedia.org/NMM/Docs/index.html
>
> Things we really need:
> - Decoding/Encoding/Output plugins (many already implemented)
> - Synchronisation
> - Threads support
>
> Things is nice to have:
> - LGPL'd + some GPL plugins
> - Distributed/net media
> - Serialization
> - Doxygen generated documentation of API and a clean C++ coding style.
>
> Three are my fears:
> - Is it light enought? I mean, will it take ~1% of CPU time while decoding
> an MP3 or 30%?
> - How simple is to create/integrate plugins? From the doc is seems rater
> simple, but you can't say anything untill you try.
> - How much will they support an external big and annoy user like KDE? :)

If we choose to adopt it for KDE4, I guess we would have to support it
ourselves. I tried to download and build it a few months ago and I didnt
succed, after fixing around 10 build-bugs I still hadnt even made it even
configure (just means they have a very narrow userbase at the moment). On the
good side it seems to be somewhat tied to KDE-technology already, and unlike
GStreamer it has builtin network-transparency.

`Allan