Some ideas for the aRts-replacement

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Thu Feb 19 20:30:09 GMT 2004

> On Thursday 19 February 2004 14:00, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > Most people only want to hear music and from time to time maybe some
> > notifications. For a soundcard with two channels this is no problem, he
> > can even adjust the level for each channel individually :-)
>
> Some notes (but just my opinions):
>
> We barely have aRts being maintained at this point, don't you think all of
> this discussion is a little lofty?

I'd say let's forget maintaining arts and go for a simple inhouse solution,
while supporting advanced "3rd party" solutions. This should be easier
because we don't develop the sophisticated sound daemons, we only use them.
I'd say this requires less man power.

Or let's better say "we are looking for a new maintainer for arts" and keep on
using the frozen arts branch as one possible backend.

Bye
Alex