aRts maintenance

Stefan Gehn mETz81 at web.de
Tue Dec 7 21:59:42 GMT 2004

Am Dienstag, 7. Dezember 2004 16:27 schrieb Scott Wheeler:
> On Friday 03 December 2004 10:25, mETz wrote:
> > Everything more
> > sophisticated will have to either choose a backend or make the
> > audio-backend pluggable (as Amarok, JuK and soon Noatun do/will do).
>
> This has been said several times already, but since it seems to have not
> sunk in:
>
> JuK will drop configurable backends.  They're not there because I love
> configuration, but just because I wanted to offer an alternative to aRts in
> the KDE 3 timeframe.

And then JuK will depend on what? Why do you want to decrease features? It's
not like everybody wants arts or gstreamer or whatever (no backend works on
every hardware-configuration so people need a choice).

> amaroK will keep its plugable backend engine no matter what we choose.

which virtually means: distros will force you to install all possible backends
because their packaging usually doesn't care much about splitting up
plugins :(

> That leaves Noatun, and yes, you will have to figure out how you want to
> solve things for Noatun.

It will go the same way amarok went and provide the same hassle to end users
because there's nothing else I can think of (I certainly won't drop arts
support and stick to gstreamer, especially because no backend has gained a
kind of leadership so far).

Bye, Stefan aka mETz