kdebase/kcontrol/kdemm (silent)

Mark Kretschmann markey at web.de
Wed Aug 25 23:44:21 BST 2004

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 23:39, Scott Wheeler wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 August 2004 22:30, Matthias Kretz wrote:
> > CVS commit by mkretz:
> >
> > Directory /home/kde/kdebase/kcontrol/kdemm added to the repository
>
> When I agreed to the idea of plugable backends it was in the context that
> we needed a simple API anyway and that making that plugable didn't really
> add significant complexity.

What sense does it make to implement plugable backends at all when you can't
switch them?

> However, users want something that works -- configurability is something to
> be added only when you can't come up with a reasonable default.  I'm not
> saying that we can come up with a reasonable default, but I don't think
> that's yet been established.  Until it has I'd prefer that we remove the
> KCM
> (potentially to be added again later).

As demonstrated by amaroK, switching backends on the fly works nicely.
Technically, this is a non-issue, and UI wise this requires just a very
simple selection widget with one default backend, which Matthias Kretz has
already implemented.

> To me it just screams, ""We're not sure how well this will work.  We're not
> really sure what it'll look like in the end.  We're not sure who's going to
> use these options if we put them there, but let's do it because we can."
> And it invites more of that, which we certainly have no shortage of.  ;-)

To me this just screams you're disregarding the whole concept of the
multimedia library, and aim to introduce a one-backend solution through the
backdoor.

--Mark