MAS in KDE

Roger Larsson roger.larsson at skelleftea.mail.telia.com
Wed Mar 5 08:00:47 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 05 March 2003 08:49, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
>    Hi!
>
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 04:12:15PM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > We already know we are going to choose a system.  We will already have to
> > wrap it.  CSL gives us nothing beyond that.
>
> And preferably I am working on choosing an open, interoperable solution for
> sound input/output in KDE3.2 ; CSL was just a suggestion I made, and
> PortAudio might be an even better suggestion.
>
> Isn't that choosing a system? I think we should not try to choose a complete
> media framework (such as GStreamer) and try to solve everything with it.
>
> If we need something (like: input/output of sound streams), we should choose
> something that fills this need, or implement something that does. I have
> identified a need for input/output of sound streams (see CSL paper), and I
> am trying to choose something that fills this need for KDE.
>
> If I am doing something that makes no sense to you, let me know. ;)

I have been thinking about a really simple system where the client sends
either:
a) The filename (url?), preferred for local files - cacheable
b) The file contents in any format but raw, formats contains decoding info
using a pipe/socket to the server.
c) Program generated audio with a header, followed by data, pauses OK.
using a socket/pipe/...  to the server.
[The server needs to decode the header, load the decoder pluggin, and go]

Doable? Better worse than current approaches?

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
SkellefteƄ