JuK -> KDE CVS

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Sat Mar 1 17:14:49 GMT 2003

It's me again ;)

On Samstag März 1 2003 14:37, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Saturday 01 March 2003 13:25, Stefan Gehn wrote:
> > If you don't like the noatun defaults go and propose new ones. Still it's
> > the users pick what UI he's got on his desktop and if he doesn't choose
> > then it's the user to blame and not us developers, we can only set sane
> > defaults to stop users being scared on first start :)
>
> By setting defaults the developers are choosing the UI. When I started
> using KDE 2.x I probably used Noatun for almost 6 months without knowing
> that you can change the UI.

That's what I said: Users should always check the whole options dialog for new
apps, I always do so except if I don't have enough time atm and just need the
basic features of an app right after installing it.

> If you want the user to chose the UI, make it really obvious, for example
> with a wizard on first start. Not that I am sure whether users would
> appreciate that feature.. I probably would not care to try out all UIs if I
> wouldnt be interested in mm apps, but just use a simpler application.
>
> (The idea of having a kmenu entry per profile is very good though, at least
> if there are only 2 or 3)

Ok, I'll have a look together with Charles so we get at least a tip of the day
dialog on start (I think that's less intrusive than a wizard) and check how
to do the kmenu thing.

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
sgehn_AT_gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein