CSL Motivation

Tim Jansen ml at tjansen.de
Wed Feb 26 23:19:18 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 23:52, Neil Stevens wrote:
> Every framework we've considered can output to other frameworks, so CSL's
> primary benefit of interoperability is redundant.

Such a layer is not redundant. CSL lacks important features for it though. It
provides a relatively direct interface to the sound device. Programs like
games usually do not use a framework to access the sound device, or they use
specialized libraries like SDL_mixer/SDL. Or a developer may want to use
codecs directly, like xmms does.

The user could configure CSL using KControl and all CSL-capable apps would
then respect these settings. It could also make sure that there is a common
naming schemes for sound devices among non-KDE apps. Right now some apps
allow you to select them by device name (/dev/dspX), some by the name that
the sound API provides, and some not at all...

bye...