Questions about arts (mostly to be used in docs)

David Bishop tech at bishop.dhs.org
Tue Feb 25 00:29:07 GMT 2003

On Monday 24 February 2003 07:48 am, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> artsplay is the wrong thing to try out PlayObjects. It is hardcoded to use
> Arts::Synth_PLAY_WAV, since these files are cacheable (PlayObjects are
> not). Use kaboodle.

For some reason I thought artsplay would just generically play anything arts
could handle.  Now, with your suggestion, I've managed to crash both kaboodle
and arts, for the very first time!  That's actually more along the lines of
what I was expecting (first attempt going right? hah!).

> Arts::Refiller has methods to configure the format. I added documentation
> to resample.h in the CVS now, please ask me if that documentation is not
> good enough ;).

Looks wonderful.  As I dig into it more, I may indeed have a follow-up, though
:)

> > 2b)  The same method takes an argument of type 'unsigned long' (len).
> > What does that represent? The length of time/bytes/blocks/frames that
> > you should read into 2a's buffer? Something else entirely?  If it is a
> > length, how do you know what unit it is in?
>
> Bytes. See newly added documentation.

If you keep adding stuff to the headers, my documentation efforts will be
unneeded, unwanted, and useless!  What a relief that would be....

> You need to implement calculateBlock, basically. But since most decoders

The only thing we need to do now is add some documentation for calculateBlock
:-)  I presume you mean the one defined in object.h?

Ok, this is becoming clearer.  Thanks for what's you've gotten so far!

Next round:

Does a larger number in the "Preference" field in a .mcopclass file mean it is
"more" prefered, or less?

Does arts use the KDEDIRS variable, such that you could install "third-party"
playobjects in /usr/local and have kde proper in /usr, like you can with
apps?

I'm attaching a *very* rough draft of the stuff I'm been coming up with. Bits
of it will turn into a true FAQ, others bits are just random notes to be used
in some (planned) examples, and possibly a HOWTO-CODE.txt file (code
conventions, etc).  I'm really just looking to make sure that I don't lead
anyone astray...

--
"Yousa steala precious from meesa!" - Jar-Jaromir

D.A.Bishop