KDEs' Multimedia needs

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Mon Feb 24 13:37:27 GMT 2003

   Hi!

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 05:02:53PM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
>  - support use of the Qt object model we use
>  - be released stably when KDE releases are made
>  - maintain binary compatibility for the lifetime of the KDE major release
> it's shipped with

For these requirements exactly, redesigning parts of MCOP would be extremely
helpful.

(1) one could make a Qt language binding to MCOP, thus having QStrings in
    MCOP interfaces in client applications - this would remove a lot of
	unnecessary wrapping

(2) maintaining binary compatibility with the existing MCOP middleware is
    painful - you see that in all the Arts::FooBarV2 interfaces that create
	utterly complex inheritance hierarchies

Some of these problems are fixed in SFI (the SFK middleware, which I have been
developing with Tim for BEAST), however I am not yet sure if we can/should/
could gracefully merge those efforts into KDE4.

As soon as there is more public documentation up on the BEAST/SFK webpages,
we can discuss this with more technical background.

   Cu... Stefan
--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan at space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany