aRts vs JACK

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Mon Feb 24 13:24:36 GMT 2003

   Hi!

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 02:29:34PM -0800, Charles Samuels wrote:
> On Saturday 22 February 2003 2:17, Stefan Westerfeld wrote:
> > I want that, too, and I have implemented CSL for that reason, and I see no
> > reason not to deploy it into KDE3.2. No reason at all. I think we should
> > add it to kdesupport soonish.
>
> If we choose to use CSL, which seems reasonable to me, I feel it would be
> logical to lighten up aRts a bit, for example.  If we choose to use CSL, it'd
> also be possible to do the following (I'm not saying any of them are
> preferable, just possible)
>
> 	- remove full network transparency (as CSL can do that)
> 	- make it one artsd per application
> 	- remove a crapload of other features from artsd that nobody uses.

Yes, I think this sounds like a sane development direction for "the KDE media
technology" in the future. Uncouple the sound server functionality aRts offers
from the media framework functionality.

Thus, I agree, that a KDE media player which does the following:

(a) start an own process
(b) instantiate its playobjects and effects there
(c) send the output from this process to CSL

would be a a nice thing to have. And should I tell you something? I think you
can write one in about a week (or even less). Its really simple. Use the trader
to get an Arts::PlayObject. Connect it to a Arts::Synth_PLAY configured to
CSL. Use MCOP as IPC technology.

I don't have time for coding this right now, but if you (or somebody else)
could hack such a thing and put it to kdenonbeta, that would immensely
benefit the discussion I think. As always, I answer any questions you might
have during coding. ;)

   Cu... Stefan
--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan at space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany