Media Options for KDE 4

Leon Shiman leon at magic.shiman.com
Sun Feb 23 17:58:48 GMT 2003

A word about MAS by a lurker from the MAS team.

I feel that it is not really fair for me to enter this discussion without
responding directly to many of your well-framed concerns. But I, like all of
you, have too little time to do as I would prefer.

MAS was developed and is currently targetted to be integrated into all
Unix/Linux releases of Sun, IBM, Hp, sgi, and others asap. We have a native
port of MAS to Windows. We are now finishing a high-level "soundserver" API,
and we are defining a substrate which supports cross-platform accessibility
requirements, in cooperation with the accessibility forces.

Sun and X.Org have partially supported the MAS development as an X.Org
project. The primary target was "network transparent" audio support
for X11. The second target was to support Gnome, as their primary
desktop, the third was to provide a common substrate for accessibility
applications, since MAS efficiently manages integration, synchronization,
and timing of media data streams, independently of data type. As Ettrich,
Nord, and Stefan will confirm, we've been interesting in working with the
KDE effort since we began on MAS.

I will be in Copenhagen next week, giving two talks on MAS, one at DKUUG on
Thursday, one at LinuxForum on Saturday. I'd be glad to have the chance to
speak to any of you who are there. We would like very much to participate in
a face-to-face discussion of the media issues with as many of you as
possible, and funds permitting, will travel.

Leon

Shiman Associates Inc
163 Tappan Street
Brookline MA 02445 USA