Media Options for KDE 4

Kai Vehmanen kai.vehmanen at wakkanet.fi
Sun Feb 23 15:53:03 GMT 2003

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, Neil Stevens wrote:

> Jack:
> Con: It has no codecs we need.  It is audio-only.  It's not ported. Binary
> compatibility commitment is unknown/undocumented.

I don't think JACK is enough to cover all your needs [1]. I think you need
some frontend API (i.e. aRts, MAS or gstreamer) in front of JACK. But it
would be great if you could leave the option for some apps to use the
higher-level API while others use JACK directly. At the moment you pretty
much have to bypass all the multimedia stuff in KDE if you want to use
JACK.

[1] Codec services, resampling, audio object playback (i.e.
    here's an url, play that at time xx:yy), and so on...

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!