Fwd: Re: aRts vs JACK

Stefan Westerfeld stefan at space.twc.de
Sat Feb 22 21:19:38 GMT 2003

   Hi!

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 10:12:24PM -0800, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Thursday February 20, 2003 12:50, Roger Larsson wrote:
> > Did you actually READ my message before replying to it?
>
> Yet you don't:
>
> 1. List what you need
> 2. List what you need that aRts doesn't do
> 3. Propose one replacement
> 4. Show that your replacment will supply everything that aRts does provide
>
> So I see no evidence of useful action on your part.  Hence, you aren't part
> of "we" yet.

I see evidence of useful action on Rogers part. If not for anything else, I
can praise him for discussing with me on the realtime watching daemon to make
artswrapper safe. It didn't come to a conclusion, but he was the only guy who
actually bothered to help out with code, when it came to that.

But I think the discussion he triggered is useful, because we can use it to
sort out some misunderstandings, and if things go right, in the end "we"
(including Roger, and including you) will work towards a common goal, to get
the outstanding issues fixed.

> I'd rather not see the work of all these people, including myself,
> discarded on a whim.  KDE 4 or not, the burden of proof on any replacement
> will be on the proponents of the replacement, and it will be a heavy
> burden.

Still. The issue is grave. Anybody who is discussing on it now should be taken
serious, and we should be honest on what is the current state, where we are
now, and where we want to go.

I think that aRts does a much better job for KDE3 than most people may have
believed in the beginning, but still there are issues with it, and fixing
some of these will need us to break backward compatibility. Sooner or later,
this challenge must be faced, and its insufficient to always reiterate

 - aRts is good
 - aRts is useful
 - aRts has a lot of work put into it

While all of these may be true, we also need to ensure the quality of KDE4 and
KDE5. To do this, we need to discuss the weaknesses we currently have.

> You know how to use artsbuilder with kaboodle??? Could you tell me how to
> do it?  Thanks!

Kaboodle _should_ use the audio manager as any aRts application does, and not
directly an Arts::Synth_BUS_UPLINK. Thus, its not *great* that you can not
use kaboodle with artsbuilder, because kaboodle bypasses standard aRts
mechanisms, but a serious bug. You should use an Arts::Synth_AMAN_PLAY object.

I would be more than happy if you could fix this in the next version of KDE.
But maybe I have not seen the higher purpose in why you don't use it. Then,
please tell me why?

   Cu... Stefan
--
  -* Stefan Westerfeld, stefan at space.twc.de (PGP!), Hamburg/Germany