Fwd: Re: aRts vs JACK

Neil Stevens neil at qualityassistant.com
Fri Feb 21 08:22:40 GMT 2003

On Thursday February 20, 2003 11:50, Roger Larsson wrote:
> On Friday 21 February 2003 07:12, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you actually READ my message before replying to it?
> >
> > Yes, I did.  You're talking about "the problem with arts,"
>
> So, If I say that something has a problem that immediately means
> that I want to replace it totally?
> How does that imply that I want to replace it?

The exchange you mailed to this list:

Jozef Kosoru wrote "[T]he correct solution (I know that it's just sci-fi)
is to 'rm -rf arts'...."

Arnold Krille wrote "I know aRts isn't the best, but isn't your 'solution'
a bit to drastic?"

then you wrote "I do not think it is that drastic. Most usages of audio are
contained in simple wrapper classes (KNotify, KAudioPlayer) and in a low
number of programs. (most in kdemultimedia)

It can be done if we want to..."

So if you're not saying to replace aRts, please do clarify how you wish to
enhance arts.

> And I wrote
> "* a jack host(!) in artsd (a client should be implemented too...)"
>
> Note: jack IN artsd, not instead of

What is this, and what would it do for us?

> KDE multimedia developers, or at least you, have a problem if you think
> that people who write bug reports are against you... or not working with
> you... People who use arts and write bug reports are a part of "we" IMHO

Eh?  It's not people who file useful reports, people who cooperate, that I
complain about. It's people who *never* interact, *never* file reports,
and *constantly* bash aRts that I complain about.  It's that garbage that
was on kde-devel last time I bothered with that list.

> So, no one is actively working with midi / libkmid?

I don't know.  I would expect that the midi stuff is being used by the
separately released apps.

> That explains why I got no reaction to my patch:

Did you mail the patch to anyone in particular?  You can't assume people
are subscribed to one mailing list or another.

> > You wrote of "competing code" and "code that is not expected to use,"
> > and included the decoder libraries we use.  Did I misunderstand you?
>
> Yes

Please explain exactly what it is you want that aRts doesn't provide, and
what you want to do to aRts, then.

Your mal started with talk of replacing aRts, so if you don't want to
replace aRts, you really weren't very clear.

> > > Sometimes when I insert an effect, like FREEVERB, it does not sound
> > > that great...
> >
> > You know how to use artsbuilder with kaboodle??? Could you tell me how
> > to do it?  Thanks!
>
> No, I used noatune.

Then why did you smear Kaboodle and aRts by talking about inserting an
effect, when you did no such thing?

- --
Neil Stevens - neil at qualityassistant.com
"Distinctions by race are so evil, so arbitrary and insidious that a
state bound to defend the equal protection of the laws must not allow
them in any public sphere." -- Thurgood Marshall