Fwd: Re: aRts vs JACK

Eray Ozkural exa at ttnet.net.tr
Thu Feb 20 13:11:25 GMT 2003

On Thursday 20 February 2003 06:20, Neil Stevens wrote:
> Let's see some code.  All this talk of "we" this and "we" that is
> inappropriate, as we who do the coding aren't seeing any new
> contributions.

Neil is right.

Don't forget that we are releasing every now and then and therefore any
attempt at replacing arts must be transparent to the user. Making this
"feature" an optional thing is something that _might_ be considered. (It
could be quite difficult to make such a huge replacement optional)

My feeling is that arts is a little heavyweight for especially audio
applications and most of its features go unused contributing to total code
bloat.

Before you start the design you should also enumerate which applications in
CVS use arts and in what ways they use. A realistic replacement will have to
provide the essential features you mention such as audio/video
transparency....

Regards,

--
Eray Ozkural (exa) <erayo at cs.bilkent.edu.tr>