kAudioCreator shuts my computer off

Jeff Cave jeff.cave at sunergon.com
Mon Dec 29 17:45:54 GMT 2003

Sorry it took so long to respond. For some reason I could not create email over the holidays (well the first couple of days anyway). I have to confess, I didn't try very hard to get it working (it being the holidays and all).

I have run a couple of tests since you responded.

> I'm suspecting a hardware problem: For example, is Your CPU cooler OK ?

I am starting to think that it is not OK. I am beginning to suspect that the issue is an over heating issue. What confuses me is that the problem only occurs with kAudiocreator. All other apps seem to work fine.

The test I ran that verified this was to attempt to rip a single CD using all available formats (one at a time). The computer turned off in all instances, regardless of encoding (ogg, mp3, wav). The really scary one, was when I was setting up for a test, opened kAudioCreator, looked up the track information, walked away to help my girlfriend with something, and came back to a computer that was off. The information had been looked up before I left.

> Are You able to read the CPU temp during operation (lm_sensors etc.)?
> Maybe that ogg encoding is so CPU intensive that Your CPU overheats and
> the motherboard shuts the system down automatically ?

This seems reasonable (though I want to reiterate that it is NOT ogg encoding). I don't know how to check CPU temp. I am sure that this is not the area for hardware discussion, but if you could let me in on an easy way to do that or direct me to a resource for checking that I would really apreciate it.

> For some reason everytime I run KAudioCreator, it turns off my computer. I fire up the ripper, type in all the information, and run it. I go out to have a cigarette or get a sandwich and when I come back, the computer has turned itself off.
>
> Obviosly very confused. I did run another test last night. I put a CD in and ran the process. I am encoding to ogg. I noticed that it shut off when it had 15 songs burned, but only 4 encoded. Is it just maxing out a buffer somewhere?
>
> I'm not much of a linux programmer and am a little lost looking at the code. Any suggestions or advice on what to do or where to look?
Hi!
  It's really strange that an user process, like CD burner and audio encoder,
could turn Your machine off.
  I'm suspecting a hardware problem: For example, is Your CPU cooler OK ?
Are You able to read the CPU temp during operation (lm_sensors etc.) ? Maybe
that ogg encoding is so CPU intensive that Your CPU overheats and the
motherboard shuts the system down automatically ?
                                        With regards, Pavel Troller