Wired sound-speed behaviour

Stefan Gehn sgehn at gmx.net
Tue Aug 12 15:17:14 BST 2003

On Tuesday August 12 2003 14:16, Martin Koller wrote:
> On Monday 11 August 2003 23:56, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > > Any ideas what can be the problem, or what I have to do to fix this?
> >
> > Check the "Sound IO settings" tab of the Sound Server module of KControl.
> > Make sure the samping rate that artsd is using matches one your sound
> > hardware and drivers will support.
> >
> > Also see http://www.kde.org/faq.html
>
> It's even stranger now: I put my laptop into suspend over night.
> And today I can not reproduce this anymore ...

Buggy drivers, if it's ACPI on linux then just forget about it (actually I
wouldn't rely on ACPI at all).

> I thought, the sampling rate is needed for sound recording only (e.g. from
> a microphone), and getting data from the CD and storing it on my disk is
> just copying binary data (and probably some conversion) ?

You still need to read data at the same sampling-rate if you want to play it
again. if you read 44kHz data and play it at 48kHz it'll sound faster.

Bye, Stefan aka mETz
--
sgehn_AT_gmx.net | ICQ#51123152 | Moege der Pinguin mit euch sein