Default Associations

Ryan Cumming ryan at completely.kicks-ass.org
Tue Sep 10 12:02:29 BST 2002

On September 10, 2002 03:15, Neil Stevens wrote:
> On Tuesday September 10, 2002 02:45, Ryan Cumming wrote:
> > Now that we have xine_artsplug, I suggest that we associate Kaboodle and
> > Noatun with all file formats that it supports. Currently, AVI and QT
> > movies are associated with aKtion, which barely works. Any objections?
>
> Are there actual magic-enabled mime-types to add here?  I'd rather not
> associate kaboodle with a bunch of Windows-esque *.[A-Za-z]{1-3} format
> file types, and get a bunch of bug reports about why one file or another
> doesn't get played, because the windows-style handling was too coarse for
> xine.
Both QuickTime and MS Video have magic entries, yes. FLIC has a magic entry,
but it doesn't map to the correct mimetype. That is easily fixable, however.

> > Also, should aKtion even be compiled by default? It seems to have
> > outlived its useful lifetime. Maybe it could be moved to extragear?
>
> If it's maintained, I see no reason to remove it.
The last commit by the author was October 1st, 2000.

> If it's unmaintained, I see no reason to keep it in the release.
Remove an xanim dependency, and don't put users under the impression that it
can actually play any modern video format.

-Ryan