aRts versioning (and tarball versioning)

Rob Kaper cap at capsi.com
Fri Jul 12 14:36:46 BST 2002

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 03:27:29PM +0200, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 04:20:37PM +0300, Dan Armak wrote:
> > What will the future versions of arts (the package and the tarball) be? I.e.
> > for alpha2, beta*, ..., kde 3.1-final. Also, why are there two version
> > numbers in the first place?
>
> arts 1.1.0 is shipped as part of KDE 3.1 under the package name arts-3.1

Some elaboration, I was a tad short at first: ;)

arts will probably keep its own version scheming, where it might choose to
bump a bit here and there to match KDE's version, but this is not at all
required. Most KDE applications shipped with KDE have their own version
number different from the KDE release number, but you won't noticed as they
are packaged together in a meta package. Arts is its own package, so tat's
why you actually notice here.

The 3.0.6 vc. 3.1a1 issue was discussed earlier, apparently some package
management systems would consider 3.1alpha1 to be more recent than 3.1,
which is of course not true. Therefore the code version (3.0.6) is used for
this, rather than the version of the final release (3.1).

Rob
--
Rob Kaper     | Gimme some love, gimme some skin,
cap at capsi.com | if we ain't got that then we ain't got much