Arts < 1.0.2 local root exploit

Tim Jansen ml at tjansen.de
Wed Jul 10 08:31:39 BST 2002

On Wednesday 10 July 2002 05:06, Andreas Pour wrote:
> you can decode fast enough.  My question is, how do you make sure the X
> Server has a high-enough priority to ensure it can display the video
> fast enough, as of course it is in a different process?  If you do not
> elevate X11's priority, it could very well be the decoding process has
> the video to feed, but nobody to read it.

Video decoding is usually done in a separate thread. The decoder will decode
one frame, display it using XvPutImage/XvShmPutImage, and then wait using
XFlush/XSync until X11 is finished. If decoding or displaying a frame took
too long the decoder will just skip the next frame(s), but usually this wont
happen unless your computer is too slow for the video. Even then, skipping a
frame isn't nearly as bad as skipping sound.

> I'm also curious about your last point.  If you cannot use a pipe (or, I
> guess, socket), does that mean KDE will not support video for systems
> with X servers that lack the shared memory or xvideo extensions? Or do
> you just mean performance will suffer?

I guess it should work, but who would want video without at least XShm?
Watching video with 5 frames per second is not much fun...

bye...