aRts and LTSP

Daniel Loomis fpc-pastor at cox-internet.com
Thu Aug 22 20:12:22 BST 2002

As followup to my post of 8/18/02:

aRts does not work on LTSP Clients even with the following set:

* Enable Network Tranparency
* Run soundserver with realtime priority
* Enable full duplex operation

I have even tried to manually enter custom sound devices:  /dev/dsp  &
/dev/sound/dsp as per the kde documentation for soundserver I/O settings.

The problem may be in the mixer.  When kmix is called up, the settings will
not stabilize, i.e., the sliders bounce around at the middled point in their
range and cannot be adjusted.  Also, the letters in the tab are all
scrambled / jumbled.  Clearly, kmix is getting its wires crossed, but I have
no idea how to fix it.