aRts and LTSP

Daniel Loomis dloomis at cox-internet.com
Sun Aug 18 10:25:50 BST 2002

aRts in KDE 3.0x does not seem to work with thin clients running under
LTSP.  Programs like Xine, Xmms, Tuxtype, Tuxmath, etc. that directly
access the OSS drivers work just fine, but not any programs that try to
use aRts.  The one possible exception is Kmidi which does seem to work
ok. That means we also have no sound in Mozilla, Netscape, Konqueror,
etc.  I am told that sound worked fine in KDE 2.2 and LTSP terminals,
but have not confirmed that myself.

Is this a known bug with remote X-window hosts?  Has this issue been
addressed previously?  I am new to this list and could not find any
reference to the problem of getting sound to work on LTSP thin
terminals.  No one at LTSP or K12LTSP seems to have a clue.

Details:
Server:  Dual athlon mp (Tyan Tiger mb) with 1 gig memory
OS:        RedHat 7.3
KDE:    Ver. 3.0.0-12
Clients:  ThinkNIC terminals with 300 mHz cpu and 64mb memory.

Dan