Kontact on Android (in a chroot)

Sascha L. Teichmann sascha.teichmann at intevation.de
Mon Mar 26 10:33:49 UTC 2012

Hi together,

I'm currently experimenting with Android on my tablet
(ASUS Transformer Prime) and setup a Debian/Sid/armhf chroot
on this device.

Kontact (Desktop) seems to work in this environment. See [1]
as a "proof". I have some problems with IMAP but this could
be a misconfiguration or a Debian packaging issue
(further analysis needed). At least I've sent a mail successfully.

The setup is using a VNC server inside the chroot and a VNC client
on the Android side. This is of cause not optimal. A better setup
would be using a native X11 server on the Android side. First
steps into having this are already done [2] but it's missing
a port of Xlib which makes window management a bit hard.

Another cool option would be some kind of direct bridging the Qt stuff
from inside the chroot to a natively running Qt app on
the Android side.

Having this a usable build of Kontact Touch would be in reach.
Yes, there are some conceptional issues with this approach like
"It's not app the user can simply install from the play store."
but it could be a first step away from "Kontact Touch on Android
smart phones is not possible (without a lot of effort)".

Regards,
  Sascha L. Teichmann

[1]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23366205/kontact-mobile/Screenshot_2012-03-26-11-54-33.png
[2] http://my20percent.wordpress.com/2012/02/27/android-x-server/

sascha.teichmann at intevation.de - http://intevation.de
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner