Kontact Touch Icons

Nuno Pinheiro nuno.pinheiro at kdab.com
Wed Feb 1 11:59:26 UTC 2012

A Quarta, 1 de Fevereiro de 2012 11:23:42 Marco Martin você escreveu:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 11:23 AM, Andre Heinecke <aheinecke at intevation.de>
wrote:
> > To clarify by all platforms i just meant to replace them with the current
> > ones, well platforms might have been the wrong word.
> > So even if you install Kontact Touch on a debian/suse/windows you get
> > the "round" icons in the startmenu.
> > The desktop distributions are not the main goal here though but take
> > plasma active for example, i think on a plasma active desktop the
> > greyish icons also look out of place.
>
> from a plasma active perspective, i prefer the old gray ones (in fact
> other icons such as the web browser were specifically copied from
> them, even if badly ;)
>
> and yes, i agree the new ones are prettier, but the "squircle" is a
> strong Nokia specific branding element, i like it a lot but as visual
> identity is "theirs".
> so i would rather not have it in Plasma Active (as in they would be
> patched out :p).
>
> if the squircle gets replaced with like, any other shape in the world
> maintaining the same style I'm perfectly ok with them, because apart
> from that detail they are very nice.

Very interesting subject,,, And meets directly into the  What is the future of
oxygen thing that i have been trying to discuss, mostly with myself :(.
Any way if there is one place were oxygen fails misirably is the touch world,
specialy phone factor world, beeing passable in touch/tablet... the reason for
that is very simple and is sustained on the fact that wen oxygen was created
it was ment for desktop use so we took alot of things as given and did a
IMOdecent joob at it.
then plasma started to spread out in to other directions that need new
interactional paradigms, and oxygen was not able to keep up, for several reson
but most importantly I'm just one guy and oxygen would need this days a team
of 5 or 10 Nuno's just to keep up with all the things that are going on at any
given time.
So I think a new oxygen refundation need to take place maybe in a fadeout
fadein way but an oxygen that takes all of the difrent platforms into
consideration. And maybe even write UX guidlines for more than one platform.
Example the icons on touch world must have a  button like aperence, so the
user has a hint that something is presseble, we dont have on over hints in
touch world...

Any way, those icons are completly nokia specific and that shape is part of
the nokia specific branding for anything nokia, apart from WP ofcourse.
We need to create this same sort of things for plasma-"Xtouch" world..

Nuno Pinheiro | nuno.pinheiro at kdab.com | UI Designer