Howto: Kontact Touch

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue May 24 09:10:10 CEST 2011

Am Dienstag, 24. Mai 2011 08:50:51 schrieb Bjoern Ricks:
> > So i want to know which Servers are needed. I guess a IMAP Server is
> > needed. And other Servers too?
>
> The Kolab server integration was tested very well during our project. It's
> the recommended server for pim data beyond email. Kolab stores all data in
> IMAP folders therefore every IMAP server should work with Kontact Touch.

You should be able to use all server that Kontact "Desktop" is able to use,
that includes the SMTPS for sending out emails, LDAP(S) for querying
addresses, HTTPS for freebusy information, certificate revocation lists, and
so forth. I do not think, we've added or tested pop3 access. :)

Note that the setup that the "wizard" can do, is often pretty good
and only requires the user to enter one server and password combination.
The hard part starts when you have to decide which folders to locally
subscribe or cache. There have been some emails here and on mobile-users
that deal with the possible size and performance issues.

Ideally we would improve the "wizard" with better setup variants.
You will have seen http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact_Touch ,
which should be a usable howto. If it is not, please help us to improve it.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.