Kontact Touch on larger screens, flaps wider hack

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri May 6 13:15:01 CEST 2011

On Friday, May 06, 2011 09:03:16 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 5. Mai 2011 15:44:40 schrieb Marco Martin:
> > "real" tablets always have just a flat glass over the whole area (bigger
> > than the screen), so is easy to hit the very edge of the screen.
> > actually, swiping from outside the screen area is a quite common and
> > convenient gesture.
>
> I know, this is how it works on the N900 as well. There will be other
> touchscreen devices though that have the frame.
>
> > i would seriously not waste time to adapt an ui to the shortcomings
> > specific of the ideapad, device that will really have zero value other
> > than be a development machine.
>
> Excuse me, I am really using my Ideapad! :)
> Seriously I expect other devices having the same issue,
> more pc-like monitors for instance and other dual-purpose devices.
> The idepad is not the only one I've seen.
> We should encourage people to make minor adjustments so we can find out
> what a  good layouts. For this we need people that work with the device
> and can handle a text editor.
>
> So we are looking at two touch profiles right now:
> Capable of swiping in or not.
>
> Sebastian, try modify that number to be lower and see if that helps you?

Actually, not necessary. A bright, enlightened fairy suggested to me last
night that you were talking about retracted flaps, while I was thinking of
extended ones. I don't have any problem with making the retracted ones a bit
wider, it doesn't seem to cover any content. I'd be fine with making them a
bit wider, if that makes Ideapad (and "touch-with-a-frame-users" happier).

Cheers,
--
sebas