New project idea - kde package manager for Mobile

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Fri Oct 15 14:26:51 CEST 2010

On Friday 15 October 2010, Laszlo Papp wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Let me answer the remarks sequantially:
>
> @Daniel
>
> > I think that is not a good idea not to use PackageKit since it is part
> > of Meego Architeture [1]. So if you don't use it you won't have any
> > guarantee that your software will work on any Meego compliant OS.
>
> It is not true since the rpmlib would be the backend and that should
> work in any case.
> That is also the part of the Meego architecture and on the other hand
> I do not know how long Nokia will keep this not Qt frontend.
> There have been a Qt frontend development for Maemo, but not that I
> know about Meego. Essentially I would like to start very similar that
> Nokia started for Maemo.

there is another thing to consider:
I think it would be unwise to tie too much the kde-mobile projects to MeeGo.
Of course right now it's the platform where it makes more sense to develop
with and it would be good to have a good level of integration, tht's sure.
However i think in the future there would be many targets as viable as MeeGo
is today, where we could really shine

Cheers,
Marco Martin