New project idea - kde package manager for Mobile

Daniel Nascimento dnascimento.devel at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 16:04:19 CEST 2010

Hi Laslo,

I think that is not a good idea not to use PackageKit since it is part
of Meego Architeture [1]. So if you don't use it you won't have any
guarantee that your software will work on any Meego compliant OS.

KDE already has a PackageKit and its actively developed [2]. I think
you can try to contact the main KPackageKit developer and propose him
to join the development and start to create a better interface for
mobile devices.

[1] http://meego.com/developers/meego-architecture/data-management#packagekit
[2] http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KPackageKit?content=84745

2010/10/11 Laszlo Papp <djszapi at archlinux.us>:
> Hi,
>
> I have been planning, for a few weeks, to join to the kde-mobile
> development project and at this time I have just finished my previous
> Qt task. I recently started working officially on the MeeGo project
> and I started taking part in the Meego community in my city. :)
>
> I have got an idea. I would like to write an rpm/dpkg lightweight KDE
> gui frontend for Meego/Maemo, for example named 'KMPM' (KDE Mobile
> Package Manager). Not a multifunctional overdesigned, pluggable one,
> but really a simple one for fun.
>
> Existing alternatives:
> 1) Packagekit: not KDE based, nor lightweight. (pluggable,
> overdesigned considering the mobile usability)
> 2) Shaman: too unstable for years, not light weight (pluggable, aur,
> packagekit and so on integration, overdesigned considering the mobile
> usability)
> 3) Closed Qt solution, named 'Package Manager' (provided by Intel,
> closed, not KDE)
>
> I do not know whether anybody is working on something similar, but
> feel free to contact me and we can talk about it. :=)
>
> Best Regards,
> Laszlo Papp

Regards,
--