New project idea - kde package manager for Mobile

Laszlo Papp djszapi at archlinux.us
Mon Oct 11 21:20:54 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have been planning, for a few weeks, to join to the kde-mobile
development project and at this time I have just finished my previous
Qt task. I recently started working officially on the MeeGo project
and I started taking part in the Meego community in my city. :)

I have got an idea. I would like to write an rpm/dpkg lightweight KDE
gui frontend for Meego/Maemo, for example named 'KMPM' (KDE Mobile
Package Manager). Not a multifunctional overdesigned, pluggable one,
but really a simple one for fun.

Existing alternatives:
1) Packagekit: not KDE based, nor lightweight. (pluggable,
overdesigned considering the mobile usability)
2) Shaman: too unstable for years, not light weight (pluggable, aur,
packagekit and so on integration, overdesigned considering the mobile
usability)
3) Closed Qt solution, named 'Package Manager' (provided by Intel,
closed, not KDE)

I do not know whether anybody is working on something similar, but
feel free to contact me and we can talk about it. :=)

Best Regards,
Laszlo Papp