Remote connect akonadiconsole <-> akonadiserver?

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Mon Jun 14 10:41:09 CEST 2010

On Sunday 13 June 2010 16:16:43 Kevin Krammer wrote:
> Hi Rolf,
>
> On Sunday, 2010-06-13, Rolf Offermanns wrote:
> > I get some errors about non-existing dbus services, but the connection
> > is established anyway. At least partially...
> >
> > I can use the "Browser" to check my N900 resources, but the "Agents" tab
> > still shows the stuff from my desktop, not the resources from the N900.
>
> D-Bus usually doesn't support connections via anything else than local
> means such as Unix domain sockets, though tt might be possible to configure
> D-Bus to use TCP and not perform any authentication checking.
>
> However, if I understand your requirements correctly, wouldn't it be easier
> to just set DISPLAY for akonadiconsole to point to your desktop machine or
> use X tunneling of SSH?

I tried that as well, so far without success, the UI always showed up on the
device.

Therefore I implemented the Akonadi remote debugging server (akonadi_rds) some
time ago. It tunnels the Akonadi protocol and D-Bus over TCP. All you need is
to start akonadi_rds on the target system and set the corresponding
environment variables for Akonadi and D-Bus connections to the TCP address of
that on the client system. At least in theory. It works fine between the
Maemo emulator and the host system but not with the real device. I guess it's
due to some endian issues with D-Bus, never got around to debug that though so
far :-(

regards
Volker