kmail-mobile / N900 - first impressions

Rolf Offermanns rolf.offermanns at gmx.net
Wed Jun 9 12:11:33 CEST 2010

Hi All,

I have kmail-mobile up and running.

Some first notes:

- update README: kmail-mobile needs to be started with the
kmail-mobile.sh script, not just "kmail-mobile".

- I get many qml warnings, I guess this is OK for now?

- The "actions" slider is unintuitive. It looks like a slide-out button,
but in fact, you have to pull and push it.

- Several times I got to a state in which I had to restart kmail-mobile
because the UI did not respond anymore. The action slider was still open
after I got back from the new account wizard and I was not able to close
the action slider again.

- I did not manage to setup an account yet. I tried really hard. :)
   -> I tried gmx, web.de, googlemail
   -> with and without the "autodetect server settings" setting enabled
   -> The wizard makes it easy to do the wrong thing(s). Often there is
something going on asynchronously (checking server settings), but you
don't "see it" and the buttons are still enabled so I can push "Next" or
"Finished" while something else is still in progress in the background.

   -> The new account wizard reported a successfull account creation
multiple times during my tests, but none of the accounts show up in the
list (I assume a new account will appear below the "Local folders" entry?).

   -> After several tries I now get a "agent creation timeout" every
time I try. I checked the process list and I see about a dozend
akonadi_imap|pop3_resource processes. It looks like there is one for
every try I did. I already did "akonadictl stop" and waited for every
process to end, but after I started kmail-mobile again they all came back.

Can someone tell me how to get to a clean state again?
I would also like to know which kind of feedback/tests you are most
interested in, so I can focus my attention to these topics.

Thanks,
Rolf