Feedback about Breadcrumb Navigation stuff.

Nuno Pinheiro nuno at oxygen-icons.org
Sun Aug 29 13:47:47 CEST 2010

A Domingo, 29 de Agosto de 2010 10:10:17 Bart Cerneels você escreveu:
> On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 07:50, Jeffery MacEachern
>
> <j.maceachern at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 12:15, nuno pinheiro <nuno at oxygen-icons.org>
wrote:

> >> guys you need to test the thing in the device it makes no sence in a
> >> static picture, it looks completly completly completly difrent in the
> >> n900.
> >>
> >> you need to use it its quite self explanatory wile using it
> >
> > I have to agree with Nuno on that.  While I do remember being
> > initially a bit unsure of how to interact with it, I figured it out
> > quickly.  Also, I think that may have been with a slightly earlier
> > version.
>
> This is a very good point. Unfortunately I don't have an N900 to test
> with. Can Kontact mobile run on N810 as well and are there packages
> available for diablo? Let me know in private mail or a new topic.

yeah it makes huge diference and i can say even more its very diferent to run
it on a desktop, or the device, don't think it would meke sence in other non
800x480 screns, if I have leraned somthing about mobile is that it redefines
the need for custom solutions.

> > That said, I've never really seen UI elements such as the Flaps or the
> > Breadcrumb widget in use elsewhere.  I think they work well, but are
> > there any plans for how to introduce new widgets to users?  (e.g. a
> > quick demo screen or something?)
>
> We are in the process of developing new UI elements now aren't we. The
> breadcrumb is certainly one we'll see used by KDE mobile apps a lot so
> it's good we are discussing it.
> One thing I would like to do though is get designers involved *now*
> rather then later. Not just involved, I would go as far as having a
> small team of KDE designers (Nuno, Enrico, Thomas, etc) actually
> determine the KDE mobile user experience.

well latly i have managed to design basic ui elements that I'm happy with,
again this mobile buisness is very complicated and custom, the moment you
change the dpi-screen size - orientation - imput method . you have to
reavaluate the UI. BUT for 800x480 N900 like screns it works ok ... still WIP
thought.

Having that said the specific logic of the "breadcrum" (it is not a breadcrum)
is great IMO and inovative, (the type of sutf that if we were the other guys
would pattent), so some way of making this logic easy to reuse and style/theme
would be great.

http://i.imgur.com/yl6Hp.png

yesterday I spent some time trying to improve this specific UI...... YOU have
to imagine the animations going on wen you see it, the animations shoud help
you undrstand the logic.

unfurtunatly Im not sure we are going to have time to implement this in the
current port due to time restrictions. (we need to clone Steve) :)