Feedback about Breadcrumb Navigation stuff.

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Sun Aug 29 11:10:17 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 07:50, Jeffery MacEachern
<j.maceachern at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 12:15, nuno pinheiro <nuno at oxygen-icons.org> wrote:

>>> uhm, inbox should be indented compared to kdabtest2, and tasks notes etc
>>> indented compared to inbox (with bullet points)
>>>
>>> home if it's a separate action to always get to the root, should look like
>>> a pushbutton

>>> in this test there is the same problem, it's hard to tell what the items
>>> mean without looking at the treeview
>>> with a bit of indentation and a back icon (a left facing arrow or an undo
>>> icon) near the label of the button that goes one level up (an uhm..
>>> one-level breadcrumb?) would be more clear s well
>>
>> guys you need to test the thing in the device it makes no sence in a static
>> picture, it looks completly completly completly difrent in the n900.
>>
>> you need to use it its quite self explanatory wile using it
>
> I have to agree with Nuno on that.  While I do remember being
> initially a bit unsure of how to interact with it, I figured it out
> quickly.  Also, I think that may have been with a slightly earlier
> version.

This is a very good point. Unfortunately I don't have an N900 to test
with. Can Kontact mobile run on N810 as well and are there packages
available for diablo? Let me know in private mail or a new topic.

> That said, I've never really seen UI elements such as the Flaps or the
> Breadcrumb widget in use elsewhere.  I think they work well, but are
> there any plans for how to introduce new widgets to users?  (e.g. a
> quick demo screen or something?)

We are in the process of developing new UI elements now aren't we. The
breadcrumb is certainly one we'll see used by KDE mobile apps a lot so
it's good we are discussing it.
One thing I would like to do though is get designers involved *now*
rather then later. Not just involved, I would go as far as having a
small team of KDE designers (Nuno, Enrico, Thomas, etc) actually
determine the KDE mobile user experience.

Bart