Feedback about Breadcrumb Navigation stuff.

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Fri Aug 27 18:02:27 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 17:36, Stephen Kelly <stephen at kdab.com> wrote:
> The feedback is based on an old video. I didn't have time to make a new video
> yet, but here is a screenshot of how it looks today.
>
> http://officespace.kdab.com/~stephen/kmail-mobile-navigation.png
>
> Aaron, Bart, any feedback on the latest incarnation?
>
> All the best,
>
> Steve.
>

> <Stecchino> steveire: I just read your MeeGo summit proposal. Very
> interesting. I can't believe I missed you blog post about it
> <aseigo> Stecchino: which blog post?
> <Stecchino> aseigo: http://steveire.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/navigating-a-
> qabstractitemmodel-tree-in-a-qml-view/
> <Stecchino> It's almost exactly what I have in mind for Amarok
> <aseigo> Stecchino: ah, yeah that one
> <aseigo> steveire: btw, the only thing in that video that was a bit confusing
> visually is that all the entries look the same, regardless if they are "up" or
> "down" in the hierarchy
> <aseigo> steveire: i assumed that eventually you'd be making some
> differentiation (e.g. making the "up" items a bit smaller, different background
> and/or foreground treatment, etc)
> <aseigo> steveire: but the interaction is pretty good for a space constrained
> device imo :)
> <aseigo> steveire: non-trivial work put into it, too :)
> <Stecchino> I created a similar selection UI way back in the greenphone days.
> Pure GraphicsView.
> <Stecchino>
> http://users.telenet.be/shanachie/files/amarokmobile/amarokmobile_selectionui.mpg
> <Stecchino> I made the breadcrumb items smaller to make them visually different
> <Stecchino> I would make the breadcrumb navigatable using swipes so the items
> don't have to be the same size as the ones from the selection list

The breadcrumb items (Home, kdabtest2, Inbox) look the same as the
selection items (Tasks, Journals, etc) *

I think it would be better if the breadcrumb at least looks different,
might even have a different behavior. In my video the individual items
in the breadcrumb are to small to be finger friendly. Rather the whole
breadcrumb element behaves as one touchable area. Touching it normally
would simply go up one level, swiping up might go directly to Home,
sideswiping go to sibling, ...
So no easy way to get back to the (3?) previous parents, but there
will be more precious vertical space for the selectable items.
I also think it would look better, but that is not a good argument ;)

Bart

* Let me know if you use different terms for that so we're sure we are
talking about the same thing.