[Kde-mobile-users] Re: Experiences

Björn Balazs b at lazs.de
Mon Jan 24 16:56:41 CET 2011

Am Samstag, 22. Januar 2011, 22:27:12 schrieb Rolf Eike Beer:
> JP Horst wrote:
> > Criticism: The power consumption / CPU load of the software is really
> > high. With KMail open my N900 hardly last the 8-12h of one workday.
> > When travelling (and this would be the main scenario of use) this is
> > really a critical aspect.
>
> I think I must confirm that now. Yesterday my battery was nearly empty when
> I came into the office. I plugged my N900 on the USB where it was the whole
> day. I showed it was charging. When I wanted to leave the office the
> battery warning immediately reappeared! This did not happen the days before
> when I did not have KMail open all the time. There was neither Wifi nor GPS
> involved, I was online only by GPRS/UMTS. For me KMail keeps sometimes
> (haven't found out exactly when) to start consuming many of the CPU, shared
> with Akonadi. I suspect that they start some crazy ping-pong and keep each
> other busy, but I have not yet looked closer into the issue.
>
> Also together they consume more than half of the memory (including swap)
> which makes the whole device painfully slow.
>
> I'll open bug reports for that once I find a clue what's going on.

I cannot confirm this. Over the weekend I had my N900 with Kontact Touch
running for two days - only infrequently checking mails. The phone was in WLAN
all of the time and power consumption was absolutely ok (still some power left
after 2 days).

This is of course different when I actively work with the device and Kontact
Touch or when I am in GPRS / UMTS all of the time - but I don't even need to
start Kontact Touch to drain my battery in this case!

What is the experience of others?

Best,
Björn

--