[Kde-mobile-users] Re: Experiences

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Sat Jan 22 22:27:12 CET 2011

JP Horst wrote:

> Criticism: The power consumption / CPU load of the software is really high.
> With KMail open my N900 hardly last the 8-12h of one workday. When
> travelling (and this would be the main scenario of use) this is really a
> critical aspect.

I think I must confirm that now. Yesterday my battery was nearly empty when I
came into the office. I plugged my N900 on the USB where it was the whole day. I
showed it was charging. When I wanted to leave the office the battery warning
immediately reappeared! This did not happen the days before when I did not
have KMail open all the time. There was neither Wifi nor GPS involved, I was
online only by GPRS/UMTS. For me KMail keeps sometimes (haven't found out
exactly when) to start consuming many of the CPU, shared with Akonadi. I
suspect that they start some crazy ping-pong and keep each other busy, but I
have not yet looked closer into the issue.

Also together they consume more than half of the memory (including swap) which
makes the whole device painfully slow.

I'll open bug reports for that once I find a clue what's going on.

Eike