[Kde-mobile-users] Bugs and comments

Dominic Lyons domlyons at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 2 19:58:34 CET 2011

Hello and a Happy New Year!

I've tried Kontact Touch the last few days and played around a bit. Thank
you! I really like the Kontact Touch applications and I'm impressed about
the elegant solutions you found to make them usable on mobile devices!

But I also found a few things that didn't work or worked a bit else than I
expected:

1) KDE Mail: If a mail has got embedded mails the messages overlap each
other.

2) KDE Tasks: It's possible to show existing tasks in an hierarchical order
but I couldn't find a way to re-order the hierarchy or to add a task as a
sub-task.

3) Adding sub-notebooks is not possible: On choosing the menu point for this
I can type in a name but after that nothing happens.

4) KDE Calendar: it  doesn't seem possible to show all calendars, all
calendars of a folder or a selection of calenders at once. This can be a bit
awkward. For example if you have got a private calendar an one (ore more)
for business it is very easy to make a business meeting although aunt Maggy
has invited you for her birthday at that time... (or the other way round of
course)

5) KDE Calendar: "date selector" (I don't know how it's really called):
   * shows OK grayed out although it's - luckily! - cklickable
   * changing month or year using a gesture is a good idea - but you have to
find out how it works first ;-) Small arrows could make it easier to give a
hint how it works
   * the day/month/year field could also work as input field. And it would
be nice if the arrow keys could be used, too
   * the day/month/year field gesture menu could work as some kind of
"circular" menu. For example it's easier to go once up to come from 1st to
31st instead of scrolling down. If the 31st is not available for a month it
should be colored (but choosable as most users will adjust the day before
changing he month)
   * the calendar preview doesn't respect the setting about the the week
starting day (Monday/Sunday)
   * the calendar preview could be "scrollable", for example scoll up down
for last/next month and maybe even right/left for last/next year
   * the calendar preview isn't refreshed after selecting a new date using
the fields on the right hands side. To get a refreshed preview I have to tap
on the edited field again. If I've edited the month and the year and only
tap on the year the preview only shows the selected year but the wrong
month.

6) KDE Calendar: The "time selector" has the similar problems t the date
selector

7) The timeline shows only a black area. I guess the timeline isn't ment to
use yet...

8) The action concept is very powerfull and I reallx enjoy using it. But
there a a few moments I wish there were some kind of "shortcuts". For
example if you open a mail there are a few "typical actions:
   * reply/reply to all
Maybe it's possible to show an overlay button just like the one to show the
next mail.

9) Sometimes a context menu as the "normal" maemo apps have (tap and hold
for a while) would be a nice extension to the pull  and select model of
Kontact Touch. The mail list view for example would be a good candidate for
this.

I'm very sorry for this long mail! I wasn't sure if I should post most of
the above on th KDE bug tracker, but I could't find a given "application
tag". I guess kde-pim would be a bit too general.

Thanks for your efforts on Kontact Touch and best regards,
Dominic