[Kde-mobile-users] Setup problems for Kontact touch

Rolf Eike Beer kde at opensource.sf-tec.de
Sun Dec 11 20:13:34 UTC 2011

I tried to get my KoMo setup working again on my N900, which looks basically
impossible. Here is a sum up of things that stopped me, hoping that someone
can have a look at.

I have two IMAP accounts, one of them has mails and contacts, the other one
contacts and calendar data. So I used KMail Mobile to set up the first one.
That was the rather easy part.

The folder holding the contacts is shown as a mail folder, which is normal
when not specially set (I know this from the desktop version). When will
Kontact ask if a folder called "Contacts" has contacts in them? Shouldn't be
too hard to guess from the contents. And accept this settings for all
subfolders?

Ok, I thought about going to the folder properties like in the desktop
version. Sadly the controls in this screen are very small, the font is about 2
pixels height. As you can surely guess this makes it impossible to do
something useful with it. I also did not see a combobox there to change things
to be contacts, so I guess it is not there. How am I supposed to get this
setup working then?

Then the calendar application seems to be gone from recent versions of KoMo on
the N900, at least regarding it's desktop shortcut. The other things like
Notes and Mail can have a shortcut on one home screen, the calendar one
disappeared.

Then I created the other account in Calendar. Now it uses a default name, but
I found no way to change that name from within the Calendar application. I had
to switch to KMail to be able to do it. Now both the contact and calendar
application say that they are able to store their stuff in my first mail
account. Sadly they don't find everything there. Let me sum up what I now
have:

KMail shows both IMAP accounts, even if one of them has no mails (but that's
ok so far, that I also have on the desktop). It shows the Contacts folder in
the first account, listing all it's subfolders and showing the contents.

Calendar shows the first email account, even if there is no "Calendar"
subfolder in it. It doesn't show the second account at all.

Contacts shows the first email account and the contacts in the "Contacts"
folder. It does not show any subfolders even if they are visible in KMail, nor
any contacts in those subfolders. It does not show the second email account at
all.

I have a strong idea why the second account does not show up: it was created
with an early version of KMail2 and has the contact and calendar folders
created with their German names. This is no problems for the desktop version
where I can change what KMail/Calendar/akonadi thinks what is in this folders.
But I found no way to change that in the mobile version. And neither in the
desktop nor mobile version Kontact get's it that if there is a folder
"Contacts" that has contacts all of it's subfolders contain contacts, too. A
confirmation dialog is ok, but the default assumption should be that whatever
a folder contains this will also be in all subfolders.

If you edit a contact the layout is also very bad. The edit boxes are small,
the second column of buttons is very wide, probably because "Bevorzugte
Telefonnummer" in the German localisation is rather long. And the last column
of buttons is cut off and not completely visible.

I found no way to select one or multiple contacts and delete them. From what I
got used to in KMail Mobile I expected to tap on the folder when it's open,
select the contact(s) and have an entry "delete" in the context menu.

What I also miss is an easy way to show the contact information as barcode on
the display so I can allow other people to import that stuff from my phone
without using any bluetooth/network connection at all.

Ok, enough complaining for a sunday. Let's see if someone will pick it up and
makes me some xmas present with things working ;)

Greetings,

Eike