[Kde-mobile-users] Kontact Touch on exopc (running openSUSE)

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Tue Aug 23 07:18:36 UTC 2011

On Monday 22 August 2011 14:19:35 Björn Balazs wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to shortly state that I am running Kontact Touch on an exopc
> with openSUSE and plasma-active / contour. I do enjoy it, even though it
> seems that it is not the latest version running on it - at least I do
> remember some details differently from the time before I threw away my
> N900... (It only says Version: 4.7.0)
>
> It is important to run Kontact Touch not in full-screen mode - it was never
> made for that. In order to make it work properly, you should set it to be
> always on top and have no border (could we make a plasmoid of this?).
>
> I do have problems sending mails with the device and I did not start other
> apps than Kontact Touch Mail so far.
>
> How are your experiences with it?

I have it running nicely on MeeGo 1.2 on the same hardware now. I've also
added a meta-package (plasma-active) to simplify the setup and updated the
instructions in the wiki. There is still one problem with the application menu
being empty, the fix for that will hopefully be in the next round of package
updates tonight.

The MeeGo packages have latest master of kdepim, which fixes some problems I
run into already, such as the account wizard conflicting with the onscreen
keyboard due to being set to be always on top.

Anyway, even 4.7.0 is much newer than the latest N900 package we have, what
differences are you referring to?

For me Kontact Touch is automatically launched in full screen mode (with the
top bar still visible), seems to work perfectly fine this way. Regarding the
always on top setting, I found that to be very problematic as it conflicts
with the on screen keyboard (which then might stay in the background).

Functionality seems to be there and working (initial problems with missing
mime db updates have been fixed by now), Akonadi with the Sqlite backend broke
on my huge production account though (smaller sets seem to work perfectly
fine), I still have to investigate that.

The interaction concept seems to work (even if we can definitely improve
scalability of the interface to make more use of the extra screen space) and
fits in nicely with Plama Active/Contour. Some actions (such as as-you-type
search) wont work without a hardware keyboard though.

regards
Volker