[Kde-mobile-users] Re: Wanted: Help us to let Kontact Mobile stand the real world test

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Nov 10 10:03:31 CET 2010

Jeffery,

Am Dienstag, 9. November 2010 23:45:50 schrieb Jeffery MacEachern:
> Overall, it is much improved from the previous versions.  Operation is
> much quicker overall, although it could stand improvement in some
> areas.

thanks for your feedback, some comments below.

Bernhard

> Some thoughts:
> - The initial ("home") screen on the PIM apps has too much empty
> space.  I'm not sure what you could put there (maybe a summary view?),
> but right now the user is presented with a mostly blank screen, the
> only cues being the "New $item" button and the tree widget on the
> left.

The favourites are shown under the "new $item" button, so the place is already
taken.

When reopening each frontend, it should come up with the view that you have
left it in, so in normal situations the front screen would not be shown.

We believe a summary should be done in single widget that people can place
on their front screens of the handheld. Currently we have no plans to develop
them for the Maemo5 or MeeGo, so this is a potential junior task.

> - Dialogs could still use some UI love.  Specifically, one of the
> settings dialogs in KMail-Mobile has nested flickable areas, which is
> really tricky to use due to the conflicting kinetics of the widgets.
> Also, the KWallet explanation text is so long that the actual password
> box is partially out of view.  Consider making it less verbose.

Yes, there are a few reports about this already. The difficulty here is that
we have many, many dialogs in Kontact Mobile. The ones that we did not touch
manually are using a default renderer that sometimes only works suboptimal.

> - In the calendar event settings flap, some of the icons appear to be
> rendered a bit pixelly.

Can you add a screenshot for this one, ideally in an issue report?

> - When editing a contact in the address book, there is no obvious way
> to cancel the edits, short of going to the task switcher and closing
> the window.
> - The progress slider in the Tasks editor has its granularity set to
> 1%, which, on a mobile phone screen, is too high (in my opinion), as
> the user will not easily be able to set it to exactly what they want.
> Consider making it step by 10%, for example, since the user will
> probably never need to specify that their task is 63% done. (This
> widget is also being drawn as a system-styled widget, rather than a
> shiny QML one as in the the list view.
> - The widget in the Tasks list view (presumably another progress
> slider?) has the same issue, but also IMHO seems unintuitive.  I
> assumed it was just a "flick to the right to complete" widget, but
> then I found that I could set it anywhere I chose, with no feedback at
> all.  (This also triggered a crash and some data duplication, which
> I'll file a bug on in a bit.)
> - When the default "Personal Calendar" is selected, the "View" item on
> the Actions flap does nothing (menu focus scrolls past it when the I
> click directly on it)
> - After switching calendar views, the top "Calendar" item on the
> Actions flap appears simultaneously selected and unselected, and
> submenu items are not shown until you click another menu item and then
> click back.

Yes, we need to file reports if there aren't any for this.
Note that some menu problems are still Qt problems and for some we tend to
wait until they get fixed by Qt themselfs if they are not major.

> In regards to e-mail, I haven't been able to fully test it, as it
> slows down to a crawl when loading my inbox folder.  As far as I can
> tell, the initial sync went okay (Gmail/dIMAP/a stupid amount of
> mail), but whenever I actually open the inbox folder, it starts
> load past mid-2006.

Roughly how many emails are we talking about?
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.