[Kde-mobile-users] Re: Wanted: Help us to let Kontact Mobile stand the real world test

Jeffery MacEachern j.maceachern at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 23:45:50 CET 2010

My thoughts:

Overall, it is much improved from the previous versions.  Operation is
much quicker overall, although it could stand improvement in some
areas.  Some thoughts:
- The initial ("home") screen on the PIM apps has too much empty
space.  I'm not sure what you could put there (maybe a summary view?),
but right now the user is presented with a mostly blank screen, the
only cues being the "New $item" button and the tree widget on the
left.
- Dialogs could still use some UI love.  Specifically, one of the
settings dialogs in KMail-Mobile has nested flickable areas, which is
really tricky to use due to the conflicting kinetics of the widgets.
Also, the KWallet explanation text is so long that the actual password
box is partially out of view.  Consider making it less verbose.
- In the calendar event settings flap, some of the icons appear to be
rendered a bit pixelly.
- When editing a contact in the address book, there is no obvious way
to cancel the edits, short of going to the task switcher and closing
the window.
- The progress slider in the Tasks editor has its granularity set to
1%, which, on a mobile phone screen, is too high (in my opinion), as
the user will not easily be able to set it to exactly what they want.
Consider making it step by 10%, for example, since the user will
probably never need to specify that their task is 63% done. (This
widget is also being drawn as a system-styled widget, rather than a
shiny QML one as in the the list view.
- The widget in the Tasks list view (presumably another progress
slider?) has the same issue, but also IMHO seems unintuitive.  I
assumed it was just a "flick to the right to complete" widget, but
then I found that I could set it anywhere I chose, with no feedback at
all.  (This also triggered a crash and some data duplication, which
I'll file a bug on in a bit.)
- When the default "Personal Calendar" is selected, the "View" item on
the Actions flap does nothing (menu focus scrolls past it when the I
click directly on it)
- After switching calendar views, the top "Calendar" item on the
Actions flap appears simultaneously selected and unselected, and
submenu items are not shown until you click another menu item and then
click back.

In regards to e-mail, I haven't been able to fully test it, as it
slows down to a crawl when loading my inbox folder.  As far as I can
tell, the initial sync went okay (Gmail/dIMAP/a stupid amount of
mail), but whenever I actually open the inbox folder, it starts
load past mid-2006.

Keep up the good work!
 - Jeffery MacEachern