[Kde-mobile-users] Re: Experiences

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Dec 16 11:41:19 CET 2010

Am Mittwoch, 15. Dezember 2010 13:18:59 schrieb JP Horst:
> Am Montag, 13. Dezember 2010, um 10:07:35 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> > Thanks for the hint, I take it you were using the instructions at
> > http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact_Mobile/Maemo5, we are constantly trying
> > to improve them. The change of "unstable" to "testing" is something we
> > started recently and it still might need fixing. We will look into the
> > clucene-core issue.
>
> Somehow the entry for unstable reinserts itself in the file
> hildon-application-manager.list. This causes then an error message on
> apt-get update. I deleted this entry at least tree times manually in the
> meantime.

If you need to change the catalog entries, you must use the application
manager for it.

> Thanks for adding the sync state in the new version accounts view.
> However, the following scenario I could reproduce a couple times:
> Start Kontact (No connection to Kolab available yet)
> Start Openvpn (Kolab server availability verified)
> Manually syncing on the home page (as Sync all accounts) as well as on
> every available subfolder level, remains unsuccessful. Account status says
> "No connection to server". Activating in the account setting "interval
> checking" solves this problem immediately. After deactivating "interval
> checking" again manual syncing then is possible and remains functional.
> Therefore, there seems to be an initial connection step that is not
> overcome by manual syncing but with interval checking.

This is an interesting observation and will possibly help us to analyse how to
get into the state that we do not want to have.

> > > Criticism: The power consumption / CPU load of the software is really
> > > high. With KMail open my N900 hardly last the 8-12h of one workday.
> > > When travelling (and this would be the main scenario of use) this is
> > > really a critical aspect.
>
> It turns out, the bigger part of the rapid battery drain is caused by the
> active openvpn connection.

Note that for Kolab and Kontact Touch all connections are secure by default,
so a VPN is unnecessary. SSL or TLS is used for IMAP, HTTP and SMTP for
example.

> > Are you already using it with your production data? Are you using
> > end-to-end email security like OpenPGP or S/MIME?
>
> I copied my .gnupg to /home/user and changed the owner to user.

Ah, thanks for reminding me about the owner change that sometimes is
necessary. I've added it to the wiki,
http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact_Mobile/Maemo5#Get_encryption_working

> gpg --list keys as user on the shell lists all the keys as expected.
> Kontact however does not find the keys (if I want to set my key under
> identities). Click on Certificate Manager produces error "Could not start
> certificate manager; please check your installation". Pggui by the way also
> does not see the keys.
> Do the keyrings need to be at a different place or have different access
> rights?

You have to install the "kleopatra" package, I guess.

> - When selecting email addresses in the composer the auto-complete uses
> email adresses as search criteria. However, I don't memorize email
> addresses but names. Therefore the search criteria for auto-completion
> should be last name, frist name. Can I change this somewhere?

We are struggling with a Qt weakness for Maemo5 here, actually we would have
liked to show a different dialog here, but Qt does not let us. Changing this
would be some effort. So I guess it will not get fixed in the foreseeable
future (or unless somebody comes up with funding for this particular item).

Best,
Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.