[Kde-mobile-users] Re: Sync Kontact and Kontact Mobile

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Dec 13 09:39:23 CET 2010

Am Sonntag, 5. Dezember 2010 22:28:53 schrieb Dominic Lyons:
> Kontact Mobile and Kontact 4.6 both use Akonadi. Is it possible to sync
> those both Akoandi instances directly (meaning without a Kolab server
> between them)? (In my case this aims to calendar synchronizaton but address
> and mail synchronization could be nice, too)

I haven't heard about such a possibility. Technically it cannot be hard to
implement, but you would end up with something like a Kolab Server
(IMAP plus something).

> As I couldn't find public Kolab servers (for free or at least with a low
> fee)

You can try with a normal IMAP server, if you are just having one user
(and thus you are not using the groupware features like access permissions
on calender folders or freebusy lists). You only need to mark the folders
with their content type then on the client, you might need akonadi-console for
Kontact Touch for this currently.

> I guess a Kolab server is not an ideal solution for most private
> users: It needs a 24h running server and even installation & configuration
> will be too much for many users.

When you are carrying around a handheld device you really would want to get
your email, so having an email server available is must for many users
anyway. BTW maintaining a Kolab Server is as easy as maintaining an email
server. And I agree that it would be ideal for single personal users or small
groups to have more offerings for hosted Kolab Server as their email
offering. I expect more of theses offers to come public in 2011, though. ;)

Am Freitag, 10. Dezember 2010 18:16:20 schrieb Dominic Lyons:
> As I got no answer I guess this is not possible :-(

Or it means all people that know are busy, for that variant try asking on
the kdepim list.

Bernhard

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.