[KDE/Mac] Review Request 127822: address the potential name/case clash of the Attica/Attica and Attica/attica header dirs

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu May 5 07:48:54 UTC 2016

On Wednesday May 04 2016 22:51:04 Marko Käning wrote:

Hi Marko,

>a directory KF5/Foo/foo and the corresponding "CamelCase" headers in KF5/Foo/Foo .
>
>oh, no! Not again.

Oh yes, "all of this has happened before and all of this will happen again" ...

>I am case-insensitive here as well. This should not happen on such file systems!!!

Well, it *will* happen on such filesystems. The only alternative is that the filesystem would raise an error when trying to create a new dir entry with a supposedly different name that maps to the name of an already existent entry. I think that's what higher-level applications like the Finder or the MSWin Explorer do, but it would probably break too many expectations for lower-level, Unix/Posix calls.
The only solution is to avoid naming schemes where this kind of clash can occur. That is, to follow guidelines Michael Pyne posted the other day:

1. Do not accidentally lose information about differences in case (e.g. if
user does "Save As" as "xSa" then the resulting file name sent to FS should be
"xSa")

2. Do not rely on file names that differ only in case (e.g. don't install a
fileA.foo and FileA.foo and expect to be able to open a precise one of those
two later)

>> The sheer amount of KF5 frameworks concerned means (IMVHO) that we should really strive for an upstream solution rather than having to maintain our own set of patches …
>
>I haven’t tested all this lately, but I remember that I ran into trouble with this because of phonon in Januar 15.

Ah, that's not a KF5 framework, but I'll have another look. First impression though is that no clashes can occur, at least in its current MacPorts installation layout.