[KDE/Mac] kde-mac Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 08:52:09 UTC 2016

On Tuesday March 29 2016 14:09:58 Jonathan Schultz wrote:

Hi,

>Yes that is correct. Is it worth trying a development version?

No, better not in fact.

>> Error: You cannot install a Qt5-KDE port with port:qt5 or one of its
>> subports installed!
>so I looked around for the source of that error message and made it go
>away by removing the (empty) directory /opt/local/libexec/qt5/plugins.

Yep, I use that directory as a sign of presence of the mainstream Qt5 port. I could do it differently, but this is probably faster.
Note that my own port:qt5-kde installs a symlink at that path, pointing to where it installs its own plugins.

>> Failed to parse file audio/phonon/Portfile with subport 'phonon-qt5':
>> could not read "/opt/local/libexec/qt5/plugins": no such file or
>> directory

Ah, you may have tripped on an error I didn't foresee. I'll have to go back to my drawing board... when I get back to my Mac.

>> Failed to parse file aqua/qt5-kde-devel/Portfile: could not read "/opt/local/libexec/qt5/plugins": no such file or directory

Can you have a look at the qt5-kde-devel logfile please, to see if you can figure out what operation in the Portfile triggers that error?

>but if I manually create /opt/local/libexec/qt5/plugins I get:
>
>> Failed to parse file aqua/qt5-kde-devel/Portfile: Qt5 PortGroup mismatch

As indicated above, /opt/local/libexec/qt5/plugins should be a symlink in the qt5-kde universe, pointing to /opt/local/share/qt5/plugins . There should be other symlinks in /opt/local/libexec/qt5 that are there for compatibility with port:qt5 .

>Having restarted with a fresh mavericks installation I can rule out that
>as a source of the original problem.

Can you give me a list of the ports that give you an error, plus what `port dir foo` returns for those ports?

Was it clear from the README and previous explanations that you need to copy /opt/local/site-ports/_resources/port1.0/group/qt5-*1.0.tcl into the equivalent _resources directory under /opt/local/var/macports/sources?

>I'm happy to try it on a few different versions. Though my first
>priority is to get it to work on any version!

Then stick with 10.9 for now, as that's what I'm still running.

>Mavericks it is possible to set a custom resolution. Actually come to
>think of it that might be because you can't run vanilla Mavericks at all
>but need to use some Hackintosh version. I've never worried about it too

Ah ... and that's not required with 10.11? Interesting.
One can run an unmodified 10.9 in Parallels Desktop, but even if they provide a Linux version I'm not sure they'd allow you to run OS X in it.
I'm actually not even sure if Apple's EULA allows running OS X in a VM running on Apple hardware that's running something other than OS X. But I'm pretty sure the commercial VM providers enforce the hardware aspect of the EULA.
Still, cannot hurt to try if you can get your hands on a Parallels copy that's recent enough: you'd get better integration with the host.

>> It would have been just as easy on "real silicon" if Apple had made
>> good on their idea of using ZFS ;)
>
>Just fork it ;)

Easier said than done, but it has been done: www.o3x.org .

BR,