[KDE/Mac] kde-mac Digest, Vol 76, Issue 7

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 22:10:01 UTC 2016

On Wednesday March 23 2016 00:48:58 Sayan Biswas wrote:

@Jonathan: read on, there'll be some documentation on installing KF5 ports below.

> Well preferably, my primary interest lies in the development on KF5. I
> actually would like
> to try my hand with the feature set that is close as possible to the
> feature set of
> Linux as it will be easier for me to figure out in the initial phases of
> development.

Good, that's a healthy approach.

> But I would definitely like to try my hand on the latter one that you have
> mentioned.

I'd advise to hold off on that until you're familiar with OS X, and how things are really done there in practice. It's quite easy to fall for a "more dogmatic than Jobs" approach ;)

> documentation for me looks like a "linguistic hard to parse". If somehow I
> can't manage
> to get things running in my system, I will ping you again.

In that, case, I suggest you begin by installing MacPorts and getting the hang of it. Have a look at guide.macports.org in order to get an understanding of how its build/distribution system works, you'll probably need that anyway sooner or later.
It will help you understand how personal port repositories work, for instance, because you will be using one to get access to KF5 ports.
You can add my own port repository (github.com/RJVB/macstrop) which always has the most up-to-date ports (and a quick guide how to install it into MacPorts), but you can also look up the thread "A minimal set of Qt5/KF5 ports with corresponding Qt4/KDE4 fixes ready for testing." in the archives of this mailing list, and install Marko's sanitised minimal copy of my repository (https://bitbucket.org/mkae/macports-kde-unoffical/commits/branch/MacPorts-RJVB-KF5). I don't know if he has kept it up to date, though.

> If any other way of installation is present for KF5, please post it. I
> would be happy to try
> out those also.

Apart from Fink and HomeBrew and KDE's own kdesrc script I wouldn't know.

BR,
René